Norbert Barlicki Memorial Teaching Hospital No. 1 of the Medical University of Lodz
(Uniwersytecki Szpital Kliniczny Nr 1 im. Norberta Barlickiego w Lodzi)
The history of the Norbert Barlicki University Teaching Hospital No. 1 in Lodz dates back to the first half of the 20th century.
In September 1928, the foundation stone for the construction of the hospital was formally consecrated, and in spring 1930, the building was put to use. The hospital was erected in 19 months.
After the end of the Second World War, in March 1945, the hospital beds were handed over for clinical use to the forming Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lodz.
On 27 August, 1945, the formation of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy was officially endorsed and the hospital became a clinical base for the Faculty of Medicine. In the same year, the organization of the academic structures was initiated in what was now the Norbert Barlicki Social Insurance Hospital. In February 1950, the hospital was included as one of the four departments of the State Teaching Hospital of the Medical Academy of Lodz, the institution with the uniform organization, administration and financial system. This organization lasted until 1 January, 1955, when the Norbert Barlicki Social Insurance Hospital took on a new form as the State Teaching Hospital No. 1 of the Medical Academy of Lodz, becoming its clinical, teaching and research base.
On 4 December, 1998, the Hospital was transformed into the Norbert Barlicki Memorial Teaching Hospital No. 1.
Following the establishment of the Medical University of Lodz on 1 October, 2002, the University became the establishing organ for the hospital, whose name was changed accordingly to the present-day Norbert Barlicki Memorial University Teaching Hospital No. 1 in Lodz.
Today the institution has a multidisciplinary character, housing 17 departments (351 beds and 33 dialysis stands), where patients are conservatively or surgically treated.
Ambulatory services are provided in 23 outpatient clinics, and specialist diagnostic services are performed in three diagnostic departments with state-of-the-art medical equipment.
The Hospital conducts wide-ranging research on the mechanisms of diseases and modern diagnostic and treatment methods. The institution performs highly-specialized medical procedures in Neurosurgery, Neurology, Pulmonology, Allergology, Laryngology, Gastrology, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, Cervical and Maxillary Transplantology, Anaesthesiology and Intensive Therapy.
It is regarded with high esteem, not only by the community of the Lodz Region, but also in Poland and abroad.
Nevertheless, changes in its medical, organizational, and financial activities have recently been introduced by the Hospital management to significantly further improve its functioning. These have all been certified by:
- 9001-200 ISO certification (Quality Management System)
- 14001:1996 ISO (Environmental Management System) accreditation certificate granted by the National Centre for Quality Assessment in Health Care
- The “Hospital without Pain” certificate awarded by the Polish Association for the Study of Pain